We at Toad subscribe to the “more” philosophy of New Year’s Resolutions – Instead of “less meals out,” we say “more butter!” Instead of “become a morning person,” we say “more sunrises!” Thinking in terms of more vs. less is the glass half full approach that makes us feel like we’re achieving rather than failing (look it up, it’s science). Here are some more of our New Year’s resolutions and tips for turning them into good habits for 2020!
- More oysters
- Explore a new town (bonus points for taking public transit)
- Sleep outside once/month (well, try to…)
- Pet more dogs
- Re-use ziplock bags
- Adopt a vinyl habit
- Become obsessed with your reusable coffee thermos
- Play hooky
- Hug a tree (yes, hug it, and thank it for its years of service)
- Try a new food
- Volunteer 12 hours (that’s just 1/hr month!)
- Stretch while brushing your teeth
- Switch to reef-safe sunscreen
- Buy something from a local store (*see “Adopt a vinyl habit” for inspiration)
- More sunrises and more sunsets
- Plant something and watch it grow
- Send a letter (whoa…. letters??)
- Get your photos developed (locally, if you can)
- Sharpen your kitchen knives
- Re-read your favorite book from high school
- Find a theme song (if none come to mind, use “Eye of the Tiger”)
- DIY hot sauce
- Drink more water
- Don’t sweat the small stuff
Happy 2020 from the Toads!
Start the year off right. Here are our 2019 sustainability resolutions:
The apparel industry is the 4th largest polluter of air and water on Earth. Wearing eco-friendly or second-hand clothing can make a world of difference. We’ve got you covered: 100% of our products are made with eco materials.
Everything from food scraps to lightbulbs to shower water, start by cutting back on your consumption and reuse as much as you can.
12 billion plastic bottles end up in landfills every year. Same for 6 out of 7 plastic bags. BYOB from here on out.
Eating food sourced within 30 miles of your home cuts back on land, water and emissions pollution. Support local, support the planet.
By riding your bike instead of driving, you save 1 lb of carbon emissions for every mile you opt for 2 wheels. Bonus: it’s good for your health.
Want more? Join our movement to save the planet and download our Eco Cheat Sheet.
By the Numbers: What Made Toad&Co a Top Sustainable Clothing Brand in 2018
By shopping Toad&Co in 2018, you’ve helped us do some major things. From the bottom of our tree-hugging hearts, THANK YOU for being part of the sustainable apparel movement and here’s to an already momentous 2019!
We don’t want to ruin the surprise, but as of Feb 2019 our ENTIRE LINE is eco-friendly… Get excited. Thanks again, you’re the best.
It’s time for your New Years detox! Break out the tonic and antioxidants, and maybe some gin too. Seriously. Gin has some amazing health benefits that you’d be wise to get hip to. The juniper berry, the key ingredient in gin, is nature’s Z-Pak: It’s a natural anti-inflamatory so it combats infection, soothes coughs and acts as a remedy for arthritis. Gin contains lots of bitter herbs (good for your digestive tract) and is considered a diuretic (great for those kidneys). It’s also been said that the antioxidants in the juniper berry aid in regenerating cells in your skin – wrinkles-be-gone! Tonic water is no shmuck either. Originally developed by the British Empire as a vehicle to deliver the anti-malarial drug called quinine, today’s tonic water has far less quinine but certainly does the trick to ease the gin down. But remember, everything in moderation (including moderation…). So raise a glass you your health, and have a prosperous 2017!
2 oz. gin
4 oz. tonic water
2 lemon wedges*
*The traditional G&T calls for lime, but lemons are known to help you absorb nutrients quicker and more thoroughly throughout the day. Good on ya, lemons!
Order is important: In a chilled glass, add the gin. Fill the glass with ice – the larger the better. Squeeze in one lemon wedge then add the tonic. Squeeze in the second lemon wedge and give it a quick stir. Cheers!
New Year, new health kick. We’ve resolved to be healthier in 2016, to exercise more and get our daily fix of antioxidants and vitamins. So a modified whiskey sour is just what the doctor ordered: a mixture of immunity-boosting ginger, antioxidant rich honey, high in potassium egg whites, vitamin overload lemon and a dash of cayenne pepper (the ancient therapeutic wonder spice). And whiskey – for health and happiness of spirit. Lose the whiskey and combine ingredients with hot water for an even healthier health kick, or double the recipe and share with a friend. Go ahead, drink to your health!
The Health Kick
2 oz rye whiskey
1 oz fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp honey
5 slices fresh ginger
1 egg white
pinch of cayenne pepper
1. In a glass, stir honey into whiskey until smooth.
2. Muddle ginger in shaker.
3. Combine whiskey, lemon juice and egg white in shaker. Shake for about 15 seconds or until frothy.
4. Pour over ice and garnish with a pinch of cayenne – drink to your health!
We’re all trying to eat a little healthier these days. We’re letting our bodies recover from the holidays and starting strong with resolutions, but if you’ve got a sweet tooth then breakfast can be one of the hardest meals to get right. Luckily, these Orange + Carrot muffins from our gal Luci are low in fat and high in guilt-free deliciousness. Naturally sweet carrots and a healthy dose of Vitamin C from means you’re getting in your vitamins before you’re even done with coffee. Bring on 2016, one resolution at a time.
Orange + Carrot Muffins (12-14 large muffins)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
3 tbsp oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (can use AP flour)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine wet ingredients (sugar through carrots) in large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients.
3. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients.
4. Fill greased muffin tins at least 3/4 full.
5. Bake 20-22 minutes and enjoy with coffee! Refrigerate within 24 hours.