When it comes to apparel industry pollution, the buck stops here. As pioneers in sustainable fashion, we set out to create a collection that didn’t waste, pollute, or use any resources. The result? The ZERO Collection, the world’s first clothing line made with zero impact.
Ok, we might be yanking your chain, but now that we have your attention… let’s talk sustainable apparel.
Here’s the short version: The apparel industry is the 4th largest polluter of air and water on earth and 12.8 million tons of textiles end up in US landfills annually. That’s a massive impact clothing has on the earth.
Here’s the long version: The apparel industry is not without flaws, but there are tons of innovative practices that are helping to clean up a dirty industry. For the last 23 years we’ve been on the front lines of the movement by doing our homework and adapting our supply chain. Here are some of the things we’re doing to make Toad&Co apparel better for people and planet:
- -We’re a 1% for the Planet company
- -We adhere to a strict criteria for what constitutes a sustainable garment and 100% of our garments meet that eco criteria
- -We never use anything on our restricted materials list (which includes things like acrylic, angora, and tons of toxic chemicals)
- -None of our clothes need to be dry cleaned and our hang tag says it all, “Dirty is the new clean. Wear more, wash less.”
- -We use 100% organic cotton
- -Our 2019 line utilizes 36 tons of recycled materials
- -We use recycled polyester made from post-consumer plastic bottles
- -100% of our plant-based fibers are certified responsibly forested and safe for farmers
- -Our clothes are third-party certified by groups like bluesign®, OKEO-TEX Standard 100®, Global Recycling Standard, and the Global Organic Textile Standard
- -All our partner factories promote fair labor practices and safe working conditions for adult employees
- -We partner with facilities that are committed to environmentally conscious practices like responsible water usage, emissions capturing, and renewable energy
- -We offset our energy use by purchasing Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) for all Toad&Co locations
- -Any Toad&Co garment that’s damaged or defective is sent to the Renewal Workshop, not the landfill
- -We ship our web orders in reusable shippers made out of upcycled billboards
- -Our polybags are made from post-consumer plastic and were recently redesigned to move the air hole to the top for reuse as dog doodoo bags (because we love dogs as much as we love sustainability)
- -And we’re always learning! We’re members of the Higg Index, TextileExchange, and OIA Sustainability Working Group – organizations working to identify and implement sustainable practices throughout our shared global supply chain