How does that old saying go, “Give Thanks, Bring Bourbon”? Maybe we’re getting our proverbs mixed up, but if it’s any excuse to make an Apple Bourbon Bundt Cake then we’ll take it. Here’s a Toad favorite, plucked from the New York Times and perfected around various Toad dinner tables. Happy Holidays, from our table to yours.
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bourbon (we like Bulleit)
1/2 cup candied ginger, chopped
1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and coarsely grated
1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
1/2 lemon squeezed for juice
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-cup bundt pan. In a small bowl, combine 3 tbsp bourbon and the candied ginger. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. In a mixer, beat together the brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining flour with baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
4. In another bowl (yes, 1 more bowl), whisk sour cream and vanilla. Pour in the bourbon & ginger mixture and whisk until smooth. Stir in zest.
5. With the mixer on medium speed, add the dry mixture and sour cream mixture in three additions, alternating between the two. Fold in the ginger, apples and pecans.
6. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until the cake is golden brown, about 1 hour 10 minutes (test by sticking a skewer into the cake, when it comes out dry it’s all done). Cool in the pan 20 minutes, then run a paring knife around the sides of the pan to release the cake; cool, flat side down, on a wire rack.
7. While the cake cools, combine the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the rest of the bourbon in a small saucepan. Over low heat, gently stir until the sugar dissolves. Stir in the lemon juice and take off the heat.
8. Douse bundt cake with bourbon glaze and serve. Pairs well with whipped cream or ice cream, and a big helping of good company!