Maybe it’s the booze talking, but we feel pretty lucky to have Nina as a Toad. A master of all things crafty and DIY, Nina’s signature move is to kick off the weekend by turnin’ on the country tunes and whippin’ up tasty cocktails on Friday afternoon. Come 3:30 last week, Nina sauntered from desk to desk offering up her latest concoction – the Blackberry Jack. The results were mighty fine…
Ingredients for 2 cocktails:
2 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp homemade fruit shrub (direction’s below)
4 oz of Jack Daniels whisky
A splash of soda water
1 lemon peel
To make fruit shrub…
1. In a pot mix: 1 cup white wine vinegar, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup berries (Nina used seasonal blackberries, but cranberries work well too).
2. Let the pot heat up until the liquid boils.
3. Lower the heat to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved and liquid is syrupy, about 7-10 min from start to finish.
4. Let cool and store leftovers in the fridge. The shrub should keep for 3-4 weeks so use it to liven up other cocktails, cider or lemonade.
To make Blackberry Jack…
1. In a shaker with ice, mix in lemon juice, shrubs and whiskey.
2. Shake well and pour into a chilled glass over ice.
3. Rub a lemon peel on the rim (Tip: Use a lighter to heat the peel then twist to release flavor)
4. Add a splash of soda water and garnish with a blackberry and lemon peel skewer. Cheers!